Friday, May 9, 2008

Jered Weaver: "They've figured me out."

Every pitcher struggles from time to time...some more than others. Angels' SP Jered Weaver has struggled enough early this year to last him awhile. After Thursday night's dismal outing at Kansas City, Weaver's ERA ballooned to 5.59 and he lost a league-worst 5th game. As if those numbers aren't bad enough, perhaps most disturbing of all is what Weaver had to say after Thursday night's game.

"Things are going a little different than in the past," Weaver told reporters. "I said [last year] that I'm going to pitch my game until people figure me out, and they've figured me out. Sounds to me like the 25-year-old former 1st-rounder has lost a little confidence. Not what you want to hear from a big league pitcher.

On the flip side, the Angels don't appear to be panicking. They're not talking about sending him back down, and they're not talking about a bullpen demotion. Instead, they're talking about getting Jered better.

Pitching coach Mike Butcher told reporters Thursday night, "I don't think they've figured him out. Mechanically he's fine. He's had nice bullpen sessions. [He needs to] get back to fastball command and pitching off his fastball."

Weaver appears to be a great "buy-low" candidate right now. After all, he is just one year removed from a 13-7 record with a 3.91 ERA. If someone waives him in your league, dust off that waiver claim. If you've been saving that claim for Mr. Kershaw, you might want to think about taking a shot on Mr. Weaver instead.

No comments: